01. Reliquias del Altar

Nuestra iglesia actual fue construida en 1957 y dedicada el 11 de noviembre de 1957 por el obispo auxiliar Philip Hannan (luego arzobispo de Nueva Orleans). El obispo Hannan también consagró varias reliquias en nuestro altar mayor (donde actualmente se encuentra el Tabernáculo). Según la inscripción dedicatoria emitida ese día en latín, nuestro altar contiene “las reliquias de los santos mártires Eudoxius y Bocetos Centenarios Honestus; con los de San Francisco Javier, Confesor, y Santa Teresa del Niño Jesús, Virgen, también incluida ”. Para aquellos que visitan la iglesia en el aniversario de su consagración, se concede una indulgencia de 200 días. Poco se sabe sobre San Eudoxio, un soldado romano en la actual Armenia que fue martirizado a fines del siglo III o principios del siglo IV. San Honestus, nativo de Francia, fue enviado a Navarra, España por San Saturnino, un discípulo de San Pedro, donde convirtió a un gran número de personas. Fue martirizado enEspaña en 270.

 

San Francisco Javier nació cerca de Navarra, España, en 1506. Fue uno de los primeros siete miembros de la Compañía de Jesús (Jesuitas), dirigida por San Ignacio de Loyola. Conocido como un gran santo misionero, desempeñó un papel clave en el establecimiento del cristianismo en India y Japón.

Santa Teresa del Niño Jesús, también conocida como Santa Teresa de Lisieux o la Pequeña Flor, era una monja carmelita cuyo “Pequeño Camino” se centró en pequeñas acciones y sacrificios para mostrar un gran amor y confianza en Dios. Ella describió esta espiritualidad en su autobiografía “Historia de un Alma”. El Papa Juan Pablo II la nombró doctora de la iglesia en 1997.

 

02. Registros Sacramentales

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

San Martín, como todas las parroquias católicas, debe mantener registros sacramentales: el registro oficial de bautismos, confirmaciones, matrimonios y muertes en la parroquia (las primeras comuniones son opcionales).

 

Están escritos a mano y cuidadosamente almacenados a perpetuidad. El primer registro en St. Martin’s es el Registro Bautismal. Comienza el 26 de diciembre de 1920, solo unos días después de la dedicación oficial de la capilla en la propiedad. El niño era hijo de George y Mary Gartner, una familia fundadora activa desde hace mucho tiempo en nuestra parroquia y escuela. La columna de “notas” de la entrada bautismal, escrita por el Padre Cuddy, declara “Primer niño bautizado en esta parroquia”.

 

Los registros también son un testimonio de la diversidad de San Martín desde sus primeros días. Un 1922 la inscripción en el registro bautismal es para un hombre adulto. El Padre Cuddy señala que”un hombre de color” y “Nacido en la esclavitud”. Bautizado en lecho de muerte. Los registros de la Primera Comunión comienzan en 1926 y enumeran a 19 niños que recibieron este sacramento en San Martín el domingo 14 de noviembre. Otros 10 niños recibieron su Primera Comunión el domingo siguiente en “St. Rose, Clopper.”

 

St. Rose fue por muchos años una iglesia misionera de San Martín y los registros muestran cómo las personas de todas las áreas del alto condado de Montgomery adoraban en San Martín y a menudo eran enterradas en el cementerio de Santa Rosa. Incluso a fines de la década de 1950, las residencias registradas en los registros de defunciones incluyen Gaithersburg (como se esperaba), Stewartown, Travilah, Metropolitan Grove, Barnesville y Germantown. Así que regocíjate cuando tú o un miembro de tu familia se bauticen, se casen o te confirmen aquí en St. Martin’s, y sé que serás recordado para siempre en los registros sacramentales como parte de nuestra comunidad parroquial.

03. La tierra

Los católicos en el área de Gaithersburg se organizaron por primera vez para para adoración en la finca de Francis Clopper, cerca del parque estatal Seneca Creek de hoy, donde se fundó St. Rose en 1836 como iglesia misionera. Pero esa capilla estaba a 3 millas sobre un terreno montañoso desde donde crecía la ciudad de Gaithersburg, centrada alrededor de la línea del ferrocarril que se construyó en 1873. Entonces, a fines de la década de 1880, los católicos de Gaithersburg se reunieron en la casa de Thomas y Adeline Gloyd, cerca de la intersección de las avenidas Diamond y Frederick, siempre que pudieran encontrar un sacerdote visitante para celebrar la misa en el salón.

 

A medida que esta comunidad católica creció, comenzaron a buscar un lugar de adoración más permanente, y pronto se establecieron en una propiedad en la esquina de las avenidas Summit y Frederick. Esta propiedad triangular había sido el sitio del Hotel Summit, un lugar de vacaciones de verano para los residentes de DC, hasta que se incendió en 1895.

Según las historias orales, un grupo de 7 u 8 mujeres llamó a los propietarios, John B. Diamond e Ignatius T. Fulks, para ver si venderían la propiedad para una iglesia. Elos estuvieron de acuerdo. El Sr. Diamond era católico y donó su parte de la tierra. El Sr. Fulks vendió su porción por $ 10, una fracción de su valor real (e igual a alrededor de $ 250 hoy). La escritura se registró en el condado de Montgomery el 17 de abril de 1914. El Sr. Diamond y el Sr. Fulks vendieron 2 parcelas de tierra, una de 3.5 acres y una de 44 perchas (aproximadamente 1/3 de un acre) a George Harrington, pastor de Santa María en Barnesville. Tres días después el Padre Harrington transfirió la tierra al cardenal James Gibbons, arzobispo de Baltimore.

Así, en abril de 1914, los comienzos de nuestra iglesia física se establecieron aquí en Gaithersburg. Pero tres meses después comenzó la Primera Guerra Mundial, y la construcción de una iglesia tendría que esperar.

04. La tierra, parte II

Después de establecer la iglesia aquí en San Martín, el Padre Cuddy también estaba ansioso por comenzar una escuela católica Las Hermanas de Notre Dame de Namur habían comenzado. Enseñaba clases de escuela dominical en noviembre de 1923, y él quería que dirigieran la escuela. Las hermanas vivían en el centro de DC y viajaban en tren o en automóvil hasta Gaithersburg para enseñar. Entonces el Padre Cuddy decidió comprar tierras adicionales para un convento, para alentar a las Hermanas a administrar la escuela.

 

Él eligió la tierra en el lado oeste de Frederick Road (ahora Rt. 355). Esta tierra había sido originalmente parte de la gran propiedad de John T. DeSellum, quien la dividió en parcelas de 4 acres en la década de 1880 y vendió los primeros lotes a las familias Smith y Lodge. Porque esta tierra es una de las elevaciones más altas de Gaithersburg y porque se construyó un observatorio astronómico DeSellum Avenue en 1899, el barrio se hizo conocido como “Observatory Heights”

El Padre Cuddy compró una de estas extensiones de 4 acres y la gran casa que estaba sobre ella de la familia Lodge el 14 de julio de 1925. Después de las renovaciones, tres hermanas docentes se mudaron a la casa en 1926 y las Hermanas estuvieron allí hasta 1973.

Aunque la propiedad ya no está repleta de manzanas, peras y membrillos (como se describió en 1925), todavía se puede ver la casa del convento, hoy llamada Casa del Padre Meyer. Desde hace mucho tiempo el pastor Padre Paul Meyer vivió allí como pastor emérito. La propiedad ahora también alberga la rectoría y el convento de nuestras Hermanas Dominicas. Y puede viajar por DeSellum Avenue pasando la rectoría actual para ver el Observatorio que dio su nombre a esta parte de Gaithersburg.

05. La pérdida del p. Cuddy

La Pérdida Del Padre Cuddy Padre John Stanislaus Cuddy fue el sacerdote fundador de St. Martin y se convirtió en su primer pastor residente cuando comenzó a alojarse en la casa de Schwartz (ahora el Ayuntamiento de Gaithersburg) en 1921. Fue responsable para la iglesia del comedor, la escuela y el convento para las hermanas docentes. Organizó un capítulo de Caballeros de Colón, y era conocido en la comunidad por producir programas teatrales completos con iluminación y efectos de sonido.

Trágicamente, el Padre Cuddy fue asesinado el 7 de diciembre de 1928 en el cruce de ferrocarril a nivel del suelo en Gaithersburg. A pesar de los esfuerzos de la guardia del cruce para detener al el auto de Padre Cuddy, condujo hacia las vías, estaba golpeado por un tren de trabajo que se acercaba y arrastrado a cierta distancia. Los testigos del accidente intentaron sin éxito salvar al sacerdote.

La tragedia fue noticia en los periódicos del Washington Post, Baltimore Sun y el condado de Montgomery. Una foto dramática en el Post muestra los restos totales del automóvil. Una investigación determinó que no había culpa y el La difunto de Padre Cuddy fue “un accidente inevitable”.

El sacerdote era muy querido tanto por sus feligreses como por la comunidad de Gaithersburg por su “buena naturaleza genial”. Una persona dijo el Padre Cuddy estaba “imbuido del espíritu de amor fraternal” y nunca preguntó sobre la religión de una persona antes de elegir ayudar a alguien que lo necesita. El dolor de la comunidad por la difunto de Padre Cuddy en este peligroso cruce de ferrocarril cambiaría permanentemente a Gaithersburg, y esos cambios nos benefician todos los días. Detalles, si aún no lo has adivinado, en el próximos boletín.

 
 
 
 

06. Un puente para el p. Cuddy

Fr. Cuddy’s death in a train-car accident in December 1928 grieved the entire parish and Gaithersburg community. His funeral at St. Martin’s was celebrated by Baltimore auxiliary bishop John McNamara and included 8 priests as honorary pallbearers and 8 members of the Knights of Columbus as active pallbearers.

The grade crossing where Fr. Cuddy was killed was often described as one of the most dangerous railroad crossings in the state. The community demanded changes, and the Gaithersburg Chamber of Commerce petitioned the Maryland State Roads Commission, who agreed to eliminate the crossing. A two-lane bridge over the tracks was completed in December 1930, 2 years after Fr. Cuddy’s death.

As Gaithersburg grew, the small bridge could not handle the increasing traffic on Rt. 355, and the state upgraded the overpass to a 4-lane bridge with access ramps from West Diamond Avenue. The new bridge was officially opened on December 7, 1987, 59 years to the day from Fr. Cuddy’s death. Governor William Donald Schaefer, Gaithersburg Mayor Ed Bohrer, and Archbishop James Hickey all participated in the dedication ceremony, along with children from St. Martin’s school.

The new bridge was dedicated to Fr. Cuddy. According the Gazette article describing the event, Mayor Bohrer said, “By dedicating the bridge in his honor, we give it a sense of the religious and cultural history of the time.” So every time you easily cross over the tracks, regardless of whether one of the dozens of daily commuter trains or freight trains is passing below you, think of Fr. Cuddy and how his death brought a bridge and safety to Gaithersburg 90 years ago.

07. Una parroquia planificada

Cuando Padre John Cuddy fue nombrado pastor de la Iglesia de San Martín en 1920, los feligreses se reunieron en las casas de los residentes católicos locales para la misa. Santa Rosa de Lima tenía una iglesia, pero San Martín aún no tenía los fondos para construir un edificio, por lo que Padre Cuddy organizó la donación de tres comedores del Ejército que se colocarían en una “L” en el lote de la esquina para servir a la parroquia como iglesia y salón de actos.

El Padre Cuddy se propuso construir la primera escuela católica en el condado de Montgomery. Cartas al arzobispo de Baltimore Curley solicitar un préstamo de $7,000 en septiembre de 1924 para la construcción de la escuela, otra solicitud de $15,000 en Octubre de 1924, y otra solicitud de $20,000 en febrero de 1925! El hogar de la alojamiento (ahora conocido como el “Padre Meyer House”) se compró ese año como un convento para alojar a las monjas que enseñarían en la escuela.

Cuando Padre John Callaghan fue nombrado en 1928 después de la trágica muerte del Padre Cuddy, el arzobispo Curley escribió que …” [Desafortunadamente] no hay rectoría. El buen Padre Cuddy concentró todos sus esfuerzos en la Escuela y el Convento ... Preferiría ver al sacerdote en su pequeña casa, por humilde que sea.

En 1929 el Padre Callaghan hizo su propia solicitud de un préstamo de $12,000 para construir la rectoría “humilde” que todavía se utiliza hoy (el edificio de oficinas de la rectoría). Para marzo del 1930, las cartas muestran que la obligación financiera de su pequeña parroquia era $66,500, casi un millón de dólares por el valor de hoy. Esta deuda no fue cancelada hasta 1942, mientras nuestra parroquia intentó sobrevivir a de la Gran Depresión.

08. El comedor militar de la Iglesia

La capilla de San Martín original (como la llamó el Padre Cuddy), donde se celebró la primera misa en diciembre de 1920, era en realidad un comedor del ejército de Camp Meigs que se trasladó a nuestra propiedad a fines de 1920. Camp Meigs estaba ubicado en el noreste Washington, DC, al este de Florida Ave y justo debajo de New York Avenue (cerca de la actual Universidad Gallaudet).

Originalmente una instalación para la Guardia Nacional de DC, fue arrendada por el Ejército de los EE. UU. En septiembre de 1917 cuando los Estados Unidos ingresaron a la Primera Guerra Mundial. El campo lleva el nombre del general de división Montgomery C. fue utilizado como campo de entrenamiento para el cuerpo de intendencia. Más de 25.000 personas pasaron por Camp Meigs durante la Gran Guerra.

Después de que terminó la guerra, se ordenó el abandono del campo en mayo de 1920. El Padre Cuddy había servido como capellán del ejército durante la guerra, estacionado en el Arsenal de Edgewood, ahora parte de Aberdeen Proving Ground en el condado de Harford, MD. Claramente usó sus contactos en el ejército para transferir los ahora excedentes edificios del comedor de Camp Meigs a Gaithersburg para convertirlos en nuestro primer espacio de adoración. 

la capilla fue dedicada por el Rt. Rev. Msg. Marcar en de San Pablo Iglesia en Washington el 12 de diciembre de 1920 - el fecha que celebramos como la comienzo de nuestro parroquia.

 
 
 

09. Celebrando los 25 años

El viernes 22 de febrero de 1946, nuestra parroquia celebró su Jubileo de Plata. Nuestro pastor, el Padre Meyer, presidió la Misa del 25 Aniversario de la fundación de San Martín, junto con el obispo auxiliar John M. McNamara de Baltimore (el arzobispo estaba demasiado enfermo para asistir). Según un artículo de Catholic Review, la homilía fue dada por Mons. John Russell de la Iglesia de San Patricio en Washington. Enfatizó que el lugar central que una Iglesia parroquial tiene en la vida de los Católicos – es donde visitan a Dios, adorarlo en la Misa, y recibir los sacramentos. El Padre Finnerty, pastor de San Martin de 1935 a 1942, asistió a la celebración del Jubileo de Plata, al igual que muchas ex maestras y superiores de la escuela y convento de San Martín.

La Misa se celebró en el auditorio de la escuela-que es donde se celebraban Misas desde 1942, cuando la parroquia había superado la capilla del comedor. Esos edificios originales habían sido derribados y vendidos por chatarra en 1945.

Al final de la Misa, los niños de la escuela le regalaron al Obispo McNamara un ramo de claveles rojos. Le dieron al Padre Meyer una campana de plata junto con $25. El periódico informa que el Padre Meyer aceptó la contribución de los niños para pagar un nuevo Crucifijo sobre el altar, aunque las historias orales dicen que los $25, más la colecta de la Misa de aniversario ($208) fue el comienzo del fondo para la construcción para una nueva Iglesia. Pero esa nueva Iglesia todavía estaba once años en la distancia, y sería dedicada en noviembre de 1957.

10. Building Our Church

Although our parish is 100 years old, the church building is only 63 years old! Beginning in 1920, 

masses were held in repurposed Army mess halls left over from World War I. When the congregation 

outgrew those buildings, the auditorium of the original school building was converted for worship in 

1942. Finally, following the parish’s 25th anniversary, the community began to plan for a real church 

building.  

In the early 1950s, the pastor, Fr. Paul Meyer, began a fundraising campaign for a new church. In 

addition to soliciting funds from parishioners, the church held a variety of fund-raisers in the community, 

including turkey dinners.  

Ground for the new church was broken in December 1956. At the ceremony, Mrs. Theresa Selby 

turned over the first shovel of earth. As a young woman back in 1914, Mrs. Selby had been a part of the 

group of church ladies who helped to buy this property.  

The church was built by a Bethesda construction company for a total cost of $257,000. Built of 

brick, with limestone trim and seating for 500 people, the church was completed in less than one year. 

The altar and its relics were dedicated on Nov 11, 1957 by Auxiliary Bishop Philip Hannan. The church 

itself was dedicated by Archbishop Patrick O’Boyle on the following Sunday, Nov. 17, 1957. 

Ten years later, Fr. Meyer proudly noted in his 1967 financial report to the parish that the debt 

we incurred to build the church was entirely paid off. 

Since 1957, the church interior has undergone several renovations. After Vatican II, a second 

altar was added, facing the people, the communion rails were removed, and a raised floor for the altar 

extended into the nave of the church. In the mid-1990s, the altar was moved back up into the sanctuary 

and there was a simple curved dais before the steps. In 2018, the curve was replaced and rails were 

installed in front of the statuary niches.  

So for our Centennial celebrations the church will closely match its original look from 1957 – 

when it was built by Fr. Meyer to “give God His own house” in our community. 

 
 

11. Early Pastors of St. Martin's

St. Martin’s has had only eleven pastors in our 100-year history. Fr. Cuddy, our founding pastor, 

was tragically killed in December 1928. The three men who followed him at St. Martin’s were also 

instrumental in developing the church and community as they are today. 

 

​Fr. John J. Callaghan, St. Martin’s second pastor (1928-1935),  is best remembered for building the original rectory. The 

building is now used as the parish office. He was appointed to St. Martin’s just a few days after Fr. Cuddy’s death. A native of 

Washington, he was ordained in 1918. Fr. Callaghan died April 9, 1957, aged 66, and is buried in Mt. 

Olivet Cemetery in Washington, D.C.  

​Fr. Michael Joseph Finnerty was St. Martin’s third pastor, from 

1935-1942. As the parish continued to grow, he opened up the partition 

in the mess hall church that had divided the auditorium from the church, 

so that the entire space could be used for worship. He was a native of 

Baltimore, who was ordained in 1922 and served in a number of parishes throughout the Baltimore 

Archdiocese. He died on May 26, 1953, the 31st anniversary of his ordination. At the time of his death he 

was pastor of another St. Martin’s – a now-defunct parish in Baltimore. He is buried at the New 

Cathedral Cemetery in Baltimore.  

​Fr. John H. Twamley, S. S. was the fourth pastor of St. Martin’s 

(1942-1945). He greatly reduced the parish debt and moved all 

Masses from the cramped, old mess hall chapel to the school 

auditorium. A native of Baltimore, he was ordained in 1921 and 

became a Sulpician (a member of the Society of the Priests of Saint Sulpice) in 1924. He served as a 

pastor only briefly, spending much of his career teaching Greek and Latin to seminarians in Baltimore 

and on the West Coast. He died in Baltimore on December 11, 1971, aged 77.  

Fr. Twamley’s successor would become St. Martin’s longest-serving pastor. He will be the subject 

of the next Centennial Sketch. 

 

12. Fr. Meyer Bio

Our Longest-Serving Pastor Fr. Paul E. Meyer was pastor at St. Martin’s for thirty 

years (1945-1975).  He built a 2-room annex for the original school to ease overcrowding in 1949. That 

building now houses the pantry and Adoration Chapel. He also built our church, dedicated in 1957. He 

guided the parish through a period of great growth and transition, from a 1940s rural parish with a few 

hundred parishioners to an urban parish with over 3500 parishioners in the 1970s.  At one time he was 

pastor of both St. Martin’s and the mission church St. Rose of Lima. 

​Fr. Meyer was born in 1902 in Baltimore and ordained in 1928 after studying in Baltimore and 

Rome.  He was named a Prelate of Honor by Pope Paul VI in 1970 and held several offices within the 

Archdiocese of Washington.  

In retirement he continued to live at St. Martin’s as pastor emeritus 

and contribute to the parish and community. He enjoyed sitting on the back 

porch of the rectory office building when it was a residence; from there he 

would greet the people coming for Mass. He lived in the convent building, 

vacant since the teaching sisters departed the school in 1973. Fr. Meyer died 

February 22, 1993. His funeral mass was held at St. Martin’s. A Gazette 

newspaper article commented how the lavish and well-attended ceremony 

celebrated by Cardinal James Hickey contrasted with Fr. Meyer’s simple style. 

Mourners at the funeral told of Fr. Meyer’s fondness for fishing and apple pie, 

and how he often told parables to the school children.  

He is buried at New Cathedral Cemetery in Baltimore. Yet his memory lives on at St. Martin’s in 

the church he built and the field and house where he lived in for so long, and which still bear his name 

today.  

13. The sisters of Notre Dame de Namur

This order of teaching nuns is closely tied to the early history of St. Martin’s parish. The order was 

founded in 1804 by St. Julie Billiart (canonized in 1969), and Françoise Blin de Bourdon, a noblewoman 

who provided early financial support. Their mission was to educate – they promised God “to form school 

teachers for the country areas,” according to the order’s website. Originally founded in France, the 

motherhouse was moved to Namur, Belgium in 1809, after which the order became the Sisters of Notre 

Dame de Namur.  

 

The Sisters came to the United States in 1840, where they established their first school in Cincinnati, 

Ohio. From there they founded schools and convents across the entire East Coast. The Sisters are still 

present throughout the United States; they are teaching in Baltimore, DC, and beyond. 

 

Given their mandate to teach in rural areas, it is not surprising that the Sisters located on K Street in 

Washington, DC, eagerly accepted Fr. Cuddy’s invitation to teach Sunday school out in the hamlet of 

Gaithersburg, 15 miles from the city. The first Sunday school class was held in October 1923, with 35 

students.  

 

Determined to have the Sisters teach more than Sunday school, Fr. Cuddy began building the original 

school building during the summer of 1924 and in September 1925 the first Catholic school in 

Montgomery County opened its doors. For the first few months, the Sisters commuted from downtown 

DC to Gaithersburg each day by train or car. By February 1926, the Ardmore House on the Lodge 

property had been purchased, renovated and renamed as “Notre Dame Convent” for the teaching 

sisters. That 4-acre property today includes the original house (now known as Fr. Meyer’s house), Fr. 

Meyer’s field, the rectory, and the new convent. 

 

The Sisters would live at our parish until June 1973, when they left the school, which transitioned to a lay 

teaching staff. Eighty-seven Sisters served at our school from 1925-1973, and their impact on the life of 

the parish and community cannot be underestimated. 

 
 
 

14. The Gloyd Family

The Gloyd family, Samuel and Rebecca and their 12 children, was well known in Gaithersburg in 

the 1800s. They owned 54 acres of land, acquired from the Gaither family, for whom the city is named. 

That land included a house and the famous Forest Oak, an enormous oak tree along Frederick Avenue 

that was about 300 years old when it came down in a storm in 1997. Samuel Gloyd operated a tavern for 

some years; his widow Rebecca then ran a lumber hauling business and was often hired by the town.  

The Gloyds were described in a history of Gaithersburg as a family who “dedicated their lives to the 

Catholic Church.” 

According to this local history, the Gloyd house was a large Victorian home, but the rear section 

was of logs, and built around a fieldstone fireplace – possibly an original remnant of the Gaither home. 

By the late 1880s, Samuel and Rebecca were deceased. Two of their children, Thomas and Adeline 

Gloyd, now lived in the family home at 5 N. Frederick Avenue. They set aside a room in the house as a 

chapel where Gaithersburg families frequently gathered for Mass, rather than traveling to Clopper (St. 

Rose) or down to Rockville. Mass was said by Fr. John Gloyd (their brother, living at St. Patrick’s in 

Washington), Fr. William Clements (a nephew, living in Derwood) and by the pastors of St. Mary’s Church 

in Barnesville.  

The Gaithersburg history notes the use of the Gloyd house by Catholics, saying “older residents 

of the town can remember how the front parlor was converted into a chapel complete with altar and 

kneelers.” The Gloyd home remained in the family until 1957, when the property was sold to the 

telephone company. The home was demolished in favor of a two-story brick building which still stands 

today at the northern end of the Fr. Cuddy bridge.  

 In the early 1900s, the number of worshippers at the Gloyd house often exceeded the space 

available for the celebration of Mass and spilled out onto the porch and lawn. Fr. George B. Harrington, 

the pastor of St. Mary’s Parish in Barnesville, saw a need for a new parish in Gaithersburg, and approved 

the efforts of a few parishioners to organize and work for a church of their own. As the town history 

notes, the use of the Gloyd home for worship ended completely with the establishment of the mess hall 

chapel at St. Martin’s in 1920. 

 

Gloyd House, courtesy of. E. Russell Gloyd, from the parish archives 

15. The Dominican Sisters of Our lady of the Rosary of Fátima

This order of nuns is a Puerto Rican religious congregation, founded in 1949 in Yauco, Puerto 

Rico, by the Servant of God Mother M. Dominga Guzmán Florit, OP. They are affiliated with the Order of 

Preachers. Their Charism is the evangelization of families, as shown in their motto, “Bringing Christ to 

the Family and the Family to Christ.”  

As Dominicans, the Sisters try to balance between contemplation and the action of giving to 

others the fruits of their contemplation. They serve the church, particularly the needy, sick, and poor, 

and work to evangelize children, youth and adults.  

Sr. Mariana, one of our current Sisters, says, “Like our mother foundress would say: ‘We need to 

go to the family; listen to them and help them with their needs (spiritually, and materially).’” Because of 

this emphasis on family ministry, the order was invited to come to St. Martin’s.  

The first sisters arrived to serve in 2008. Originally the 2-3 Sisters lived in an apartment complex 

on Cedar Avenue. They also served at nearby St. Rose of Lima, helping with family ministry and 

catechesis. In 2010 the parish broke ground for a convent house in the back corner of the 4-acre lot in 

Observatory Heights. The new convent, located behind the rectory and Fr. Meyer’s house, was 

completed in 2011. By that time, the sisters were ministering exclusively to St. Martin’s ever-growing 

congregation.  

Here at St. Martin’s, the Sisters have served in family ministry, religious education, and social 

work. They also, due to their affiliation with the Order of Preachers, give talks, reflections, and retreats 

for different pastoral groups and the parish as a whole, in both English and Spanish. Their ever-present 

joy and enthusiasm help to make our parish a warm, welcoming family. 

​ 

 
 

16. Catholics in Early Montgomery County

Long before St. Martin’s existed, Catholics were living and worshipping in Montgomery County. The first 

Catholic settlers in the area were served by missionary Jesuit Priests who came first from southern 

Maryland, and later from Frederick or from Georgetown. Mass was originally said in private homes. The 

first three churches in this county were St. John’s in Forest Glen, established in 1774; St. Mary’s in 

Rockville in 1813; and St. Mary’s in Barnesville in 1820. 

 

In this part of the county, Catholics first gathered at the Woodlands, a 24-room mansion built by a 

Protestant named Francis Cassatt Clopper and his Catholic wife, Ann Jane Byrne of Philadelphia, on their 

plantation overlooking the Seneca River in what is now Seneca Creek State Park.  

 

St. Rose’s first church was built on the Clopper plantation in 1836. It existed as a mission, staffed by 

priests from St. Mary’s, Rockville and later St. Mary’s, Barnesville. The little white church still at St. Rose 

was built in 1883, after the original building was destroyed by fire. According to St. Rose’s website, each 

month a priest traveled from Rockville by foot or by horseback to say the Sunday Mass, first in the 

mansion house, then in the church. 

 

These traveling priests would bring the needed items with them. The Archivist of the Archdiocese has 

several “altar stones” used by these priests. They are heavy, flat stones about 7” square – sized to fit in a 

saddlebag. They often contained relics. A traveling chalice would unscrew into two pieces – cup from 

base – so it would also fit more easily into the saddlebag.  

 

In the 1800s, residents in the growing town of Gaithersburg attended Mass at St. Rose, which is three 

miles away over hilly terrain. The railroad was built through town in 1873, and parishioners took the 

train one way to the town of Cloppers (now part of Gaithersburg) and walked the return trip (probably 

because of the train schedule). Gaithersburg families worshipped in the Gloyd home whenever they 

could attract a visiting priest. As the population increased around the railroad depot in Gaithersburg, 

residents began thinking of a church of their own. 

 

Sobre nosotros

 

¿Quiénes somos?

 

 El personal

 

Carta del Padre

 

Año del centenario

 

Faith Direct

 

Despensa de alimentos

 

 

Redes sociales

Facebook

YouTube

FlockNote 

Galería de fotos

Contacto    

 Regístrese en la parroquia

Teléfono: 301-990-3203

Fax: 301-990-7538

Email: parish@stmartinsweb.org

 Horario de oficina 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM